Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
mic microphone problems setup and

Mic and setup problems
Hey, I've got a bit a problem with mic quality in a fan project I'm doing.

I'm currently using a $100 Samsung Meteor Mic, which apparently is an excellent mid-lower end USB mic. I have two recordings here from the same mic. One from today, and one from last year. 

Last year:
 file:///C:/Users/Paul/Videos/Lucy%201.mp3

Today:
file:///C:/Users/Paul/Videos/Lucy%201-01.wav

The first was recorded in a spacious basement, but with plenty of background noise. The other was in a small room. Changing recording places to a larger or smaller space only makes it worse.  

I don't know what words to use to describe the problem (other than lower quality), so I'm not sure where to even look for a solution.

Any ideas?
Hi those files look like they are linked from your hard drive, can you upload to a free service like soundcloud, dropbox or google drive?

Without hearing check your USB cable as usb mics will pick up interference from there, also try hanging a blanket behind you and see if that helps!

Signing of Azure
[Image: CoPQuxG.png]
(07-04-2017, 06:03 PM)Azure Wrote: Hi those files look like they are linked from your hard drive, can you upload to a free service like soundcloud, dropbox or google drive?

Without hearing check your USB cable as usb mics will pick up interference from there, also try hanging a blanket behind you and see if that helps!

Sorry, here.

Before
https://soundcloud.com/user-884489388/lucy-1

After

https://soundcloud.com/user-884489388/lucy-1-01

The USB seems to be fine, although I am using one different from the one that came with the mic. That could be a factor.

I previously recorded inside a closet. It made it worse. Perhaps I can go try the blankets, though.
I think the sound in the background is possibly your PC fans, so you may need to figure out where the sound is coming from. It may be a bit of trial and error I'm afraid.

- If you have another USB cable try that, and make sure it's not touching anything. Also you may wanna try a longer cable if you have access to one, try and move the mic as far away from your PC as you can.
- If you're using the desk stand that comes with the meteor is it on your desk? it could be conducting sound through your desk. If you can put in another service or can borrow a floor mounted stand I'd also try that. You could also try putting something like foam under it.
- Def try the pillow fort, I recently discovered hanging a blanket behind me helps cut fan noise so I assume it was bouncing off something. You can also try placing pillows around you and see if that helps.
- If you do try your cupboard again, try hanging clothes/fabric bedding around it . It may be worse as the sound bounces around it, what you want to do is stop that. Think of your room the same way.

The final thing you can do is use noise reduction in Audacity, it's a last resort is improving your recording space is always the number one way to fix things. But we're all often working in less than ideal spaces.

I hope this helps!

Audacity tutorial;
http://www.voiceacting.space/Thread-Clea...08&theme=3

Signing of Azure
The issue I have isn't with background noise or static. Audacity's noise removal is pretty good at removing that stuff already. It's the difference between the first and second recording that troubles me.

I record from another room, using multiple USB cord extensions, so it can't be the fan. Using less cords doesn't seem to alter anything. I now suspect that using the cord that comes with the meteor mic might be a factor, but I'm not sure how significantly. (Or if I can even find it).

My mic didn't come with its own stand. However, I am using a flimsy plastic table to record audio on. I'll try it on a more hardy surface.

I hung foam, clothes and blankets around the closet, but it only made it worse.

I will try blankets, and I will look into using different cables. Thanks.
It's probably picking up interference through the cable then, do let us know if you figure it out! the only other thing I can think is that your mic could be damaged.

Signing of Azure
This is really an amazing (or rather annoying) difference. Can you put the two files somewhere from where it's possible to download them, and study them more closely? If not, do you want to mail them to me -- librarian@dunyazad-library.net -- on the slim chance that I might be able to come up with a useful idea? Maybe a longer sample would be helpful, too, and one without any editing.

I've noticed the old one is .mp3, the new one .wav -- did you use a different computer, different recording software, or different settings?
Just to chime in. I noticed when you talked about your new recording area you were saying it was in a different room with multiple USB extensions.

If you were in your basement and not using USB extensions then the problem may be the length. Like any signal HDMI and USB there are technical limitations on how long a USB cable can be by just using extensions. According to some places the technical limitations are about 16 feet and 5 inches. If you have a cord longer than 16 feet most likely you need something like a USB hub or a active (repeating) cable to be able to extend the length.

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-..._42-1.html
https://superuser.com/questions/64744/ma...-usb-cable

I would make sure just in case that your cable with extensions isn't too long as you may be experiencing signal degradation with a cord that's too long.