Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
a microphones word on

A word on microphones
The cheaper your equipment the longer you have to spend editing it before you can send it out. This tutorial covers the ultra-cheap labour intensive method. If you haven‘t voice acted before or don’t intend to often there‘s no point spending a lot of moneyIf you’ve read the previous article in the series you’ll know the kind of projects you can get involved with. Now we’re going to talk about the kind of microphone you need to get started .  The type of software you use, and the microphone you record make a massive difference to the way you sound. The cheaper your equipment the longer you have to spend editing it before you can send it out.  This tutorial covers the ultra-cheap labour intensive method. If you haven‘t voice acted before or don’t intend to often  there‘s no point spending a lot of money. 

Microphones It’s perfectly possible you already have a cheap microphone hanging around. However I would strongly advise against using any kind of headset/ gaming head gear or laptop microphone. Headsets are difficult since they are attached to your head you can’t move them much, so it’s easy to breathe on them and end up recording mic puffs. There are two main ways the low budget microphone can be plugged in - 

Analogue- this plugs in the line in socket on your computer.

USB There are a number of cheap USB headphones  Logitech do a range designed more for gaming and office applications, where as professional companies such as Shure do more expensive USB microphone for home use. On a super ultra low budget I’d recommend the Logitech USB desktop microphone usually about £20 and available in largish PC and electronics shops.  Simply put it’s cheap, and provides reasonable sound on even low end machines. If you have any USB microphones from games for systems such as the Wii and PS2 (that come bundled with  music and singing games) you can also give those a whirl. Your computer may not record immediately with your microphone.

USB microphones will need to install, in most cases  your computer will do so automatically. Again more expensive USB microphones will also have drivers for advanced use. 
Using cheap equipment is definitely a bad way to go when first starting out. I know I have used a couple of really bad microphones to record, and the editing work afterwards was not really worth it. Go for some really high quality gear, for sure.